Archive for the '2010 Trips' Category

Page 3 of 3

Tomales Bay: June 27, 2010

We carpooled and arrived at 9 am, to find a number of PP’s saying the tide was way too low to launch, and that we should head for Millerton/Marconi launch. I said a little mud won’t hurt you, and walked a boat down onto the muddy beach to the left of the ramp. The trick to mud walking is to not put all of your weight on you feet. Meanwhile a couple of yahoo fisherman had got their boat stuck at the launch, and were railing about mud and low tides.

We got off, and heading across, meeting up at the starfish beds. The incoming tide was creating some goodly current, but some of us figured out that if you hug the shore you can avoid 90% of it. Suddenly a Osprey flew overhead with a large barred perch in its grasp.

A few avant-guard PPers paddled past the Eucalyptus grove beach, determined to reach the nice beach by the point. I have to admit that getting around the next point was almost not do-able, but we made it, but the stragglers just weren’t gonna follow us, so we had to turn back (and get a great ride back with about a 5 mph current).

One of the commercial guys, who was loading plastic kayaks onto a trailer, had an african grey, perched on the rim of one of the yaks.  Cute little bugger, tame as a puppy.  And yes, we saw an otter, and I got a picture of his head sticking out of the water.  We watched him for awhile, till he popped out of the water and disappeared into the willows.

A great PP lunch, beautiful weather. Folks headed back in small groups; we went back by way of White Gulch.

Dick M.

Lake Tahoe: June 26-27, 2010

Since we were going to Lake Tahoe for a wedding, Sue and I decided to bring our kayaks. A clear and spectacular Saturday morning got off to a rip roaring start as we were getting ready to launch at Meeks Bay.  A black bear was in the water swimming our way. Where did that bear come from? Everyone watch out! Get those kids out of the way! The bear came out of the water, shook off, and, totally ignoring all of us, proceeded to go down the beach and then disappeared in the forest.  Check out the photos.

We paddled from Meeks Bay to D.L. Bliss State park just below the Rubicon trail. Boat traffic on the lake was moderate and most of the action was far away. From time to time there were some large wakes that added to the fun. We thought about extending our trip into Emerald Bay but decided to turn around and tackle Emerald from the other direction on Sunday. D.L. Bliss State Park is one of California’s gems. Perhaps one day the PPers could do a campout there.

On Sunday morning we were again greeted with warm (hot for Tahoe) temperatures and crystal clear skies. We launched from Baldwin Beach and did an easy paddle into Emerald Bay. Boat traffic was much heavier with some large boats on the lake creating really big wakes.  There was a paddle board race with 125 participants in progress that started at South Shore then on to Emerald Bay and back. Impressive! We stretched our legs at the Vikingsholm mansion and paddled back to Baldwin Beach. 17 miles in two day.

Pt Reyes Joe

June 20, 2010: Heart’s Desire

Hearts Desire should be a mighty fine place to be this Sunday. For those interested, there an impressive patch of Western azalea (Rhododendron occidentale) that shouldn’t be missed. They are located back from Indian Beach on the fire road perhaps 200 yards from the beach on the uphill side of the road. The western azalea (I took the attached photo a couple of hours ago) is not only one of our prettiest native flowers, it also one of the most fragrant. First thing in the morning I can often smell the fowers before I see them.

Pt Reyes Joe

Joe says the best time for seeing the Western Azalea is just before Father's Day to just after July 4th.

Fort Bragg: May 14-16, 2010

Day 1: Noyo River.  Seven PPers toured the harbor and saw a slew of fishing boats, people cleaning abalone, and enjoyed the activity around opening day of salmon season.  The trip up the river revealed hobbit dwellings of fish shacks, trailers with bizarre add-ons, and two harbor seals swam right in front of Robin and Lori’s kayaks.  As if synchronized, they surfaced together, smiled and retreated.

Day 2: Navarro Watershed.  Four paddlers stayed to kayak to the mouth of the Navarro Watershed (see photo of beach art), and back up for a few more miles. P & Helen tested P’s GPS and got it up to 6 mph.  L & D searched for driftwood along the beach.  The launch was muddy, but it was a perfect birthday day, ending with lunch at a wayside near Boonville.